It’s Blue Monday today, so what better excuse is needed to make Golden Honeycomb.
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Measure out the bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare a silicon dish or a foil lined baking pan and set aside. Make sure your wooden or silicon spoon is nearby.
- Boil a full kettle of water – you will thank me later!
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, gently heat the sugar for about 5 minutes until it begins to caramelise.
- Add the syrup to the heated sugar, and bring to the boil – about 5 more minutes. Do not stir the mixture, just gently swirl the saucepan.
- When the sugar mix has become the colour of dark amber or copper, remove immediately from the heat and add bicarbonate of soda. Stir quickly with the spoon.
- After a few seconds pour the mixture into your prepared tin and allow to cool for at least an hour. Take care as the mixture will be extremely hot.
- Pour the recently boiled water from the kettle into the saucepan, and add the spoon to the saucepan. This will make cleaning far easier.
- When cooled, remove the honeycomb from the tin and break into pieces.
To make chocolate covered honeycomb, tune in tomorrow for the recipe.
Are you going to try out this recipe? Please show us your results in the comments below.